Hospice and Palliative Care Programme is in Northen Central Diocese in Arusha Region. The programme started in 1999 with two patients and few staff who volunteered. Hospice and Palliative care services are provided by Selian Hospital and ALMC. They are also provided basically by home visits and Day Care Occasions.
A total of 12 Hspice and Palliative Care staff and 300 trained community volunteers make the team of Hospice and Palliative care providers by the end of 2018.
The programme provided services to over 6000 clients by the end of 2018. The programme works in 2 districts of Arusha City and Arusha DC. It intends to expand the services in future to the other areas in Arusha and Manyara region.
The programme main goal is to improve the quality of life of partients and their families facing problems associated with life threatening illnesses. Pain and symptom management in a holistic way.
THE PROGRAMME MAIN ACTIVITIES ARE:-
- Home visit conducted regularly by Volunteers and also core Team as needed.
- The majority of our patients are living with HIV and/or Cancer.
- Training for Home Based Care and Palliative Care.
- Referrals to other centers, health facilities, NGOs and Faith Based Organizations for services not provided by our hospitals.
- Follow up on adherence for those on ARV and TB treatments through our volunteer network.
- Monthly and quarterly meetings with volunteers.
- Monitoring and supervision of Programme implementation